Jesus Christ Superstar - November 04 - November 21, 2021

St. Pat’s Players

  St . Patrick’s Catholic Church  

History of St. Patrick's


In 1831, immigrant laborers, many of them Catholic, settled in the Borough of Norristown to work in constructing a railroad between Philadelphia and Reading. With no Catholic church in Norristown, this meant traveling to Manayunk to worship.

In 1834, Bishop Kenrick gave Father David Mulholland permission to start a parish in Norristown and when a Mr. Patrick Flynn came up with the necessary $100 needed to complete startup costs, a grateful pastor announced that the church would be placed under the patronage of St. Patrick. 

The first church was completed in 1839 on Washington St. above Cherry on land donated by Bernard McCready.

In 1840, Bishop Kenrick came to administer the Sacrament of Confirmation for the first time in the parish.

Bishop Neumann, later canonized a saint, administered Confirmation in 1852 and 1855. A new church site was selected at Lafayette and Cherry Streets; groundbreaking was held in 1859 and construction was completed in 1864.

St. Patrick School opened in September of 1875.During these years the Pennsylvania Railroad had laid tracks in front of the church, resulting in the depreciation of parish property. After a suit was filed against the Railroad.

Page 32 of 34